Monday, October 18, 2010

Question Mark? Episode 2. To say GAY or not to say GAY?


Do you know how I know your gay???

Thats taken from the movie "40 Year Old Virgin", and that scene to me is one of the more funny ones in the movie. Why do I bring this up??? Well recently there was a trailer released for Vince Vaughn's new comedy "The Dilemma". In the trailer (which you can't find anymore due to it being taken off the face of this earth) Vaughn says that the Hybrid cars are "Gay" which is no big deal right??? WRONG. Apparently Anderson (Total Homo) Cooper decided that using the word "Gay" in the trailer is offensive toward his people. He said

I was sitting in a movie theater over the weekend and there was a preview of a movie, and in it, the actor said, 'that's so gay,' and I was shocked that not only that they put it in the movie, but that they put that in the preview, they thought that it was okay to put that in a preview for the movie to get people to go and see it.
I just find those words, those terms, we've got to do something to make those words unacceptable cause those words are hurting kids. Someone else I talked to recently said that the words people use and the things people say about other kids online, it enters into their internal dialogue. And when you're a kid, it can change the way you see yourself and the way you think about yourself, and the worth that you give to yourself. I think we need to really focus on what language we're using and how we're treating these kids.
Vaughn said this in reply to Coopers homoness.
"Let me add my voice of support to the people outraged by the bullying and persecution of people for their differences, whatever those differences may be. Comedy and joking about our differences breaks tension and brings us together. Drawing dividing lines over what we can and cannot joke about does exactly that; it divides us. Most importantly, where does it stop."
The people from GLAAD (who I have about as much repect for as I do PETA) said this about Vaughn's joke.
 "Vince is right. Comedy does bring us together, unless one of us is the punchline. Then it pushes us apart."
Do I agree with what Vaughn said? You bet. Am I wrong for thinking that? Nope. Are you wrong for disagreeing?... yup. Am I going to make fun of you for disagreeing? Nope, not worth my time.

Maybe I'm just an insensitive jerk, but when did homosexuality turn into a serious all the time subject?? Oh I know... it was when Ellen pleaded with people to stop picking on gay kids. Because apparently they are killing themselves because they are so depressed about being gay blah blah blah BULLSHIT. First of all, when I was growing up people picked on everyone ALL THE TIME. You think because some kid thinks he likes his/her own sex that that should stop people from picking on them... get real. We live in a hate filled world. Thats is a fact and thats not going to change... ever.

I get that what I'm saying is offensive and you know what??? GOOD! People need to stop pussy footing around and man up. In Regards to the gays that committed suicide, Life is hard man, but its what you make of it. If you choose to end it thats your deal... not mine, not your parents, not the people who made fun of you. Instead of doing the hard thing and living with it they decided not too.Its time for us as a society to quit placing blame on things. That has never worked in the history of our planet. Sure its horrible that these kids felt like they couldn't live with their sexuality but that was their choice.

Lets boil this down to the root of the issue. Is it OK to say that something is "Gay"? Well I guess you will have to decided that on your own. Do you continue to use it in your everyday language or do you use something else like "lame" or "stupid". Personally, I'm gonna say "Gay" and screw anyone who doesn't like it.

No comments: