Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Belle & Sebastian - Write About Love.


I'm not going to lie and say "I've loved Bell & Sebastian forever and you suck because you haven't!!" because that's not true. I've only been listening to them for about a year now. "The Life Pursuit" quickly became one of my favorite albums of its kind. Stewart Murdock, the leader of the band, was on his way of perfecting his sound. Has he done it with "Write About Love", or is it a sad attempt at riding its predecessor coattails?

"Write About Love" is the eighth studio album from Bell & Sebastian and you can tell. This is a very tight record. The songs are deliberate in nature. There isn't a single fluff song on the entire record. Maybe taking four years to make an album makes that possible but I think it has to do with the talent that is represented in the music. "Write About Love" might be the bands most accessible outing yet which by no means is a bad thing. They still have kept that same "Indie" sound but kept the pop sound from "The Life Pursuit". There is a duet with Nora Jones (yes she still exists) that is one of the more beautiful songs on the album. If I had one complaint its that the album doesn't really ever pick up in tempo. The song "I'm Not Living In the Real World" teases us with a higher tempo song, but is by far the weakest track, though its still very good.

I'm very impressed with "Bell & Sebastian Write about Love". I would be really surprised if this wasn't in the top three albums of this year and in my top 20 of all time.

I give it 5 out of 5.

No comments: