Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest


Off the bat I have to say that Deerhunter might be the worst name for a band... ever. Maybe it works in other parts of the world, but for myself, I assume that they are a bluegrass band from Georgia. That may sound good to you.... your an idiot. Now that that is out of the way, here is the review for "Halcyon Digest".

Deerhunter's style isn't something that is really fresh or new, actually in my opinion this particular style is dated and kind of tired. "Halcyon Digest" does a really good job at putting some pep in the step of a dying music style. I've been trying to think of what I would call "Deerhunter" but honestly nothing really comes to mind. The first track "Earthquake" musically has a good sound. Unfortunately the vocal work is abysmal. They used the "extremely distorted" setting on the Mic and it doesn't work well with the song at all. If you can make it through that first song your in for a treat. "Halcyon Digest" from song two on is a great experience. This is an album where the songs really stand out from each other. There are some really fun moments like the energetic "Revival". To the more somber moments of "Sailing". "Halcyon Digest" doesn't bring anything new to the table but what it does bring is enjoyable.

I give it 3.5 bad band names out of 5

No comments: