Sunday, October 3, 2010

KT Tunstall - Tiger Suit


KT Tunstall is an odd artist to me. I can't really figure out if she wants to do musically. When I first heard her "Eye to the Telescope" back in 2004 I was surprised with how much I enjoyed her sound. It was a weird blend of Pop, Rock, and almost country. I never did listen to her last record "Drastic Fantastic" so I'm not sure exactly how her sound changed from the first album to the second. So it maybe unfair for me to judge this new album based solely on knowing only her first album. I'll give it a fair shot.

The first thing that strikes me off the bat when I heard the first track off of Tiger Suit "Uummannaq" is how electronic it sounds. It seems like she's opening up her musical horizons and it really works for her. I found that I enjoyed most of the tracks even with my extreme distaste for pop music. These songs are infectious and she has enough charm to keep me listening. She does a great job keeping the listener interested in the music. I do have to say I enjoy the songs that don't have the "electronic" pop feel more. Songs like "Fade Like a Shadow" and "Difficulty" pop more then tracks like "Glamour Puss". The last five tracks of Tiger Suit are when the album comes into its full stride and they are wonderfully executed.

On this new album KT Tunstall took some risks and for the most part they work well with her sound. Tiger Suit is a strong album full of fun addicting tracks.

I give it 4 baggy shirts out of 5

No comments: