Friday, December 17, 2010

Top Metal Albums of 2010 - Number 4's


Annihilator - Self Titled.
I debated a great deal on where I would put the newest by Annihilator. I became a fan of the band a couple years ago when they released the album "Metal" and when I decided to look into them more I was happy to see that they had a new LP in the works. I had no idea it would be the epic awesome that it turned out to be. Annihilator plays the best kind of thrash metal. Its fast in your your face but it doesn't just bleed into noise like many thrash bands do.When you listen to the album its apparent that the band relies heavily on the guitar riffs and rightly so. The guitar work on the album is amazing, some of the best I've ever heard. They didn't forget the rest of the band though. While the guitars steal the show the drumming and bass are top notch. I called the bands music "Thrash" and it is that by definition but they even play with progressive elements in some of the song and even on song borrows elements from metal powerhouse Megadeth. Its a great album from start to finish with catchy songs and influences from the greats of metal that have a charm all their own.

"The Trend"


"Betrayed"




Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy.
One day, when I was on my way home from work in my dad's car, I was listening to sirius/xm radio and the song "The Termination Proclamation" played on whatever metal station they had and I was entranced in its awesome. I had no idea what to expect from the album but I was excited to finally listen to it. So I got this album and I was ready to rock and was.... overall disappointed. Well its true, when I first hear this album I was disappointed that all the songs weren't like the one I heard in my dads car. Little did I know that when I gave the album a couple more listens that it would become one of my favorites of the year. Nevermore has been around for a long time, I knew they existed but always assumed they were a cheesy 80's trash metal band but I was wrong. These guys make some of the most deceptively heavy music out there. The talent from the guys in the band are unmatched when it comes to the thrashish genre. The album is a trip, it changes tempo, musical direction, even key and is just like "Deal with it". This album is worth listening to until you understand as I did. I challenge you to try it out.

"Without Morals"



"Termination Proclamation"

No comments: