Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Top Non Metal Albums of 2010. Part 1


I decided to not go for a numbered list this time. I like a lot of these albums the same and it would be really hard to choose which album should go where. So in no particular order...


Memoryhouse - "7" Single"
I think I've listened to this 2 song ep more than anything else this year. I love this band some much and I can't wait until their full length album. The songs are haunting and beautiful. The vocals are beautiful and atmospheric. Master songwriting from a band that deserves to be at the top of every one's list. If you're interested in learning more about Memoryhouse you can go HERE



Chromeo - "Business Casual"
This should have been a band that I absolutely hated, but because they do what they do so well I was instantly a fan. Chromeo blend hip hop elements with a pop flair that is golden. This band is going to be huge. I wouldn't be surprised if they took off in 2011. The video for "Hot Mess" might be my favorite video of the year. If you listen to anything on this list check out Chromeo.




Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse - "Dark Night Of the Soul"
This album is a compilation of artist making sweet sweet music. The music was done by the people who got top credits but the vocals are done by a whole mess of talented people. It ranges from Gruff Rhys to David Lynch. Each song has its own flare and matches the singers voices very well. Its a shame this album wasn't as huge as it should have been this year.



Ben Folds & Nick Hornby - "Lonely Avenue"
Truly a return to form for Folds who has had something of an identity crisis musically for a couple years now. The lyrics were written by author Hornby who has penned books like "High Fidelity". There's something to be said about a man who's great at writing music gets to just do that. They also did a collaboration with the Internet group Pomplamoose on an original track. Doesn't get any better than that!



Angus and Julia Stone - "Down The Way"
If I had to pick a number 2 this would be it. I could listen to this album 10 times in a row and not get tired of it. Its one of those albums where you can listen to it and find a new favorite song each time. The blend of male and female vocals has never been done better and their voices compliment each others so well. Songs flow well and never sick around too long. "Big Jet Plane" is one of my favorite songs of the year.




Sleigh Bells - "Treats"
This album has grown on me. Its just two people and some damn catchy songs. This is the most surprising entry on the list for me. Some of these songs have 'Brandon Hate" all over them but I can listen to this album without ever getting angry... which is a good thing. I'm interested to see if this band keeps releasing material in the coming years and I wonder what the impact will be on the market. Check out "Infinity Guitars" easily one of my top favorite songs.

No comments: