Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Holidays - "Post Paradise" Review


Just the other day I posted a video by The Holidays for their single "Broken Bones" and I said that I may review it. Well here it is, in all of its glory. Contain your excitement please.

I was immediately drawn to "Post Paradise". It wasn't a gradual thing it was instantaneous. Something about the sound of this type of album is what always draws me easily into it. I've been trying to figure out what it is, if I ever do I'll be sure to let you know. To the untrained ear The Holidays may come across as a My Mourning Jacket clone, and you would be right, sort of. They didn't really intend to rip them off as much as had a vocalist that sounds, at times, almost exactly like Jim James. Its uncanny, you feel like you might have started another album but its the same one. It doesn't help that the style of the band is in the tiniest way reflective of My Mourning Jackets sound. I mean, it may hint at it a little. OK I admit it, they sound to me a lot like My Mourning Jacket. That's not a bad thing though. They use it to their advantage even if they didn't know they were going that direction. Other than having a familiar sound these songs are original and really good. The songs that really stick out to me where "6AM" which was my favorite on the album and "Conga". Those songs have a strong sound... even if it is a bit "familiar". The Holidays are good at what they do and you'd be hard pressed to show me an example on their debut that I was wrong.

If I was going to say anything negative about the album its that some times the album feels like its going on for longer than it should. Some parts are needlessly repetitive, which can be considered as lazy song writing. Also some of the intros to the songs take too long. "6AM"  in particular had this problem and it was my favorite song on the album.

All in all The Holidays provided us with some good solid material, even if it wasn't the most original sound.

"Post Paradise" gets 3.5 Mourning Jackets out of 5

Tracklist:
01. Heavy Feathers 04:03
02. Moonlight Hours 03:36
03. Days 03:11
04. 6AM 04:53
05. Golden Sky 04:23
06. Broken Bones 03:53
07. Indian Summer Anniversary 03:35
08. Conga 03:55
09. Slimeface 04:29
10. A Million Eyes 04:08

No comments: