Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Grammy's Are A Joke


I don't think I've ever really cared about an awards show and I know they exist solely for people to tune in for high ratings. Even if that is the case you would think that the people who vote on who should receive a Grammy should at least be knowledgeable in whatever genre they are voting for. Not only that but it seems like Grammy's are reserved for Rappers, which doesn't make any sense. Eminem has a staggering amount of nominations, which I'm sure happens every time he releases an album but its the principle of it. Can you not find enough artist to fill a single slot. I could name 50 bands off the top of my head and 150 more if you gave me time to think about it that deserve this honor above anyone on this list. I dare you to tell me that these two lists are legit.

Album of the Year
» Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
» Eminem - Recovery
» Lady Antebellum - Need You Now
» Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
» Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

Record of the Year
» B.o.B (featuring Bruno Mars) - "Nothin' on You"
» Eminem (featuring Rihanna) - "Love the Way You Lie"
» Cee Lo Green - "F--- You"
» Jay-Z and Alicia Keys - "Empire State of Mind"
» Lady Antebellum - "Need You Now"

All of those nominations except for Cee Lo Green are a complete joke. I've never even heard and of the songs up for "record of the year". I was curious as to what goes into being nominated for a Grammy so I check good Ole "Wikipedia" and in the section labeled "Nomination Process" I found this abomination of writing....
Record companies and individuals may submit recordings to be nominated. The entries are entered online and then a physical copy of the product must be sent to the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Once a work is entered, reviewing sessions are held by over 150 experts from the recording industry. This is done only to determine whether or not a work is eligible or entered into the proper category for official nomination.
Are you kidding me? Experts? Who the hell could be considered an EXPERT after listening to KATE FUCKING PERRY and saying, "WOW, this might be the greatest album of the year"... REALLY? Experts... in an industry filled with shit. Does that make you an expert on shit? Just the sentence makes me want to vomit, and where did they find "150 experts"? Is there a school where you can get a degree in Expert Music? If there is I want to go, I want to be an expert in music. Maybe then I can figure out why people love pop music. All joking aside, This really bothers me. Its not right to the thousands of artist that make great stuff and don't get recognition for it. I'm not saying that I've figured out a better system. I just think that instead of enlisting "Experts" you should find people who truly KNOW MUSIC. Also, only nominate one artist for one category. Give other artist a chance at more recognition. Lets stop the popularity contest that the Grammy's are now, because that awards show already exists and its called the "Teen Choice Awards"

No comments: