Friday, October 1, 2010

Top 10 albums of 2010 to this point! October 1st.

I figured I would do this list a little before the end of the year so I could see what albums would be added to the list by the time 2011 got here. I don't think I'm going to number them since that's not really easy. So here they are ...

Deftones - Diamond Eyes. I can't say enough good things about this record. Its deftones doing what they do best, rocking your face off. I've loved deftones since high school and they haven't disappointed me since White Pony. The blend of hard rock and almost indie rock is amazing. How the band seems to never miss a beat when evolving their sound, but never evolving it too far at a time is simply amazing. Truly this album is a 2010 power house.





Angus & Julia Stone - Down the Way. I've talked about this one before, so I won't go into too much. If you haven't at least tried to listen to their music, your stupid. I can't imagine there being a person on this planet who wouldn't enjoy their sound. Beautiful is how I would describe the Stone's sound in a word. You owe it to yourself to listen to them at least once. 



Vampire Weekend - Contra.  Here's a perfect example of how to make an amazing sophomore album. Everything they did on their debut is improved ten fold here. With some of the most easy listening music that I've come across in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a contender for album of the year for a lot of reviewers. That's all I'm gonna say about them, considering most of you probably already listen to them.


The Contortionist - Exoplanet. 2010 brought a new style of metal to the masses, that style being Sumariancore. I find this style of music is pleasing to me because of the progressive roots that these bands seem to all share. Heavy, but still very mellow within the same song? yes please!!! I'm aware that most people won't find this one appealing, I challenge you to listen to the whole song that I post. Its surprising at times.

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy.  This year has been a year of growth for me musically and this album came as a surprise to me. If you would have asked me to listen to Nevermore last year I would have stated "I'm not into that style" without even really giving it the chance it deserves. These musicians are amazing at their craft. They have created some of my most favorite riffs of this year easily. I enjoyed this album from beginning to end.

Fear Factory - Mechanize. I love FF. That being said, their last couple albums had been some of the hardest stuff to listen to because they were bad. This is more than a return to form for this pioneering band. The band was shrouded in controvercy for the "firing" of two of the band members. Well it seems it works in their favor much more than they could have dreamed. The song Final Exit truly shines as an ode to everything FF.

Rooney - Eureka. This album came out of no where. Normally I know when stuff is coming out. I make it almost a hobby to know. In this world of pirating (which I do) its pretty smart to keep your records under wraps until they are released. I think the main reason no one knew about this record is because they released it themselves almost completely from what I understand. Its not their best album by any stretch but it is very good. They're sound is intact while still growing upon the last album. A must own.

Melee - The Masquerade. I had a hard time with this entry at first. Melee has been one of my favorite rock bands since I heard their debut in 2004. I knew they would eventually go in a more pop direction which they did on their next album "Devils and Angels" they still kept their rock roots though. On the Masquerade they almost completely do away with the rock roots and it works. I'm generally not a fan of pop at all but I find this enjoyable. 

Jans Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala. This album was released in 2007, so it doesn't really belong on the list. I didn't discover Jans Lekman until this year so I'm justifying it. Lekman is a master of all trades. He utilizes so many different instruments to create the sound on this record that its truly amazing. The first song is like a big band song, the next a disco track, the next a acoustic song. It never misses a beat.

Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star. Its not technically out yet, but that doesn't matter. I've heard two songs off of it and I know its gonna be amazing. Jay K hasn't disappointed me since I picked up Traveling Without Moving in 96. Going for a more stripped out sound, I'm looking forward to a more organic Jamiroquai than previously heard. Look for this to drop Nov. 1st

No comments: