Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Event.

The first thing I have to say about NBC's "The Event" is how low budget it feels. I mean in almost the first scene of the show there was already a poorly created shot of a CGI airplane. Why couldn't they film a real plane? Within the first 10 minutes of the show they change the date of whats currently going on 5 times. Which is just not smart. The second thing that strikes me is how off the voice over is. In most of the scenes its synced well, but in some its way off which is another sign of low budget and poor editing.

The show so far as been trying to instill this feeling of desperation with the show and it hasn't done that at all. There is a scene in which the lead?? tries to hijack a plane in order to talk to the pilot. This scene is very poorly acted. The stewardess and the air marshal (god I know) are hamming it up big time. We rewind, again to months earlier.and there is a really uncomfortable scene where the lead proposes to his girlfriend and is interrupted by a man screaming for help. The lead jumps into the water to save this man's girlfriend who as falling in "Because she fell and hit her head" First of all, if she did fall and hit her head, she would be dead because the drop is much more than anyone could survive secondly she's still trying to swim. This is another example for lazy writing. I'm suppose to feel something for this couple, but obviously I don't. After some pointless scene where they are having a drink with the people that they helped we flash back to the plane where line's such as "When this is done you can arrest me all you want!" We hear a gun shot and it seems as the pilot of the plane has shot him/her self.
Flash to a new character President Elias Martinez who is... you guessed it... black. It doesn't bother me that the president is black, it bothers me because it just seems to be an ode to Obama. Why not just have Obama as the president and use a different character for the roll. Plus if I'm gonna have a black president, give me one like Morgan Freeman in "Deep Impact". Not this young guy. Young guys don't make convincing presidents. Of course I'm a racist for saying that, but its true.
We learn that the President is closing a facility, that the CIA doesn't want closed. Another time jump to see that the evil CIA had been keeping it from the President since it was on a "Need to know" basis. Jump again to the president visiting the facility which is apparently a prison for "them" Cut to another scene which is the president about to give a press conference to tell the world about "them" I guess the CIA starts to scramble because they hear something they tell the president that they need to evacuate he gets to the car and looks out and sees the plane that was going down from before!
What are we even doing here?!

OK so I don't like this show very much, obviously. This review is getting longer and I really have nothing good to say about it yet. If you like confusing time flashing stories check it out. Me I like my shows to make more sense.

1 comment:

cheryl simmons said...

I saw "The Event" for the first time this past week. I found your "take" on this show more interesting than anything I saw on the actual show. Well maybe all the dead bodies laying around on the ground outside of the plane caught my curiosity just for a second.