Monday, November 22, 2010

Heavy Metal Power House! Deftones "White Pony"


I already know what people are thinking, "Deftone's aren't metal wah wah wah". They most certainly are metal. Deftones have written some of the heaviest songs of my youth. Deftones are metal! We aren't here for a debate though, we are here to talk about one of the greatest heavy albums ever made. Lets dive into "White Pony"

I'm going to admit I didn't really get Deftones when I first heard "Change(In the house of flies)" I was thinking "why is a heavy band doing pussy music??" Man was I ever wrong. "White Pony" is a freakin power house of heavy but its not the heavy that most people think of when talking about music. Heavy isn't always crushing beats and brutal riffs sometimes heavy is the direction of the music. Sometimes its lyrical content. Sometimes its the feeling that the music put inside you. Some of the "slow" songs on "White Pony" are crushing songs. This album solidified the sound that Deftones would use in all of the later efforts by the band. In a land of Nu Metal, Deftones stood out and stood strong and destroyed critics. I think I may have heard "Change" play on 93.5 about a thousand times on the way to school and back.

The thing about Deftones is they've only gotten better since this amazing achievement in music. The band has continued to push forward to being literally one of the only legitimate hard rock/heavy metal bands left on the planet. I highly suggest giving "White Pony" a listen if you haven't before.


No comments: