Sunday, November 21, 2010

Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star Review


I've really struggled with this review. I REALLY wanted to like this album and I do like it. Problem is I don't love it. Which is the first time since "Traveling Without Moving" that I haven't instantly loved a Jamiroquai album. There are some great songs on the album don't get me wrong. I guess the album to me just seems very underwhelming. The last LP by Jamiroquai "Dynamite" is epic. Its unrelenting in its sound and it grips your attention while listening to it by constantly adding new elements. So lets talk about the good and the band from the newest outing by Jay Kay.

I want to get this out of the way first. The songs are done flawlessly. The band and Kay's vocals aren't at fault at all. The band is as amazing as ever and Kay sounds like he did years ago when he started. So from a execution stand point there is absolutely nothing wrong with the album. Also I was impressed with the risks that Kay took on the album. He still plays with the funk elements of yore but these songs are much more stripped down than previously. He succeeded in doing that at least. Problem is it doesn't really work. Jamiroquai has always been a larger than life band. I mean they still do discoish music. You can't even try and get away from being larger than life when you emulate a style that was all about being outlandish and loud. So when you pull back it sounds like half the music is present. Thats this albums major flaw. It feels unfinished. Its like if he had added a couple more parts in the music it would have felt like the old days. He wasn't after that sound and hes the lead so I guess thats OK..

The major part I have with this album is the song "Hurtin". This song sounds like a B-side from a Lenny Kravitz album. No, thats not a bad thing. The problem is for the first time I felt like Jay Kay didn't sound original. He sounded like he was trying to emulate a popular artists core sound and it really rubbed me the wrong way. On the flip side songs like "lifetime" and "All Good In the Hood" are great songs. Also the song "Two Completely Different Things" could be one of my top songs of the year.

Jamiroquai is one of the greats of the music world. Even though I don't really dig on this album, I know they will make others that I love. I mean even the greats have a bad day right? Also this is a time will tell album I think. I've listened to it probably 5 or 6 times so maybe by the 10th I'll get it.

"Rock Dust Light Star" gets 3.5 Jay Kay Hats out of 5

"Rock Dust Light Star" - 4:39
"White Knuckle Ride" - 3:33
"Smoke And Mirrors" - 4:30
"All Good In The Hood" - 3:35
"Hurtin'" - 4:15
"Blue Skies" - 3:51
"Lifeline" - 4:39
"She's A Fast Persuader" - 5:16
"Two Completely Different Things" - 4:25
"Goodbye To My Dancer" - 4:06
"Never Gonna Be Another" - 4:08
"Hey Floyd" - 5:09

No comments: