Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Jimmy Eat World - Invented Review


Remember back in 2001 when JEW(lol) came out with the song "The Middle" Of course you do. If you've played Rock Band at all you've played that song into the ground. Well that was literally all I knew about Jimmy Eat World. I never made an attempt to listen to anything that they've had since. Until someone asked me what I thought about their new material and asked if I could review it. So naturally I downloaded "Invented" and gave it a couple of spins (lol) and that band Jimmy Eat World that had that song "The Middle" in 2001 are gone. They've been replaced by a band that is really good!

I would be lying if I said I went into this review with an objective eye, but after listening to the first song I was completely sold. The band has done away with any "punk" sound that they previously had and replaced it with a more mainstream rock sound that works very well. The album stays grounded, though I wouldn't say that it was "safe". What I mean is that the album flows very well. None of the songs seem out of place and the tracks blend seamlessly together. Most of the tracks are what I would call medium tempo, but there are some surprises. The song "Evidence" had me banging my head, and just when I got used to that the next song "Higher Devotion" had me bobbing my head. I found myself re listening to tracks on the album on the first play through. The song "Littlething" I listened to several times in a row. Its just a great track. The song  just oozes passion. Its hard to find anything to dislike about the album. Of course its me and I can. The first single off the album "My Best Theory" might be the worst song on the album. I know everyone says that, but I went into this not having heard a single song from the record. I was disappointed to see that was the song that I was ultimately going to share. Its not a bad song, its just the most mainstream song on the album. Thats really my only gripe with the album though.

Its a shame that this album will most likely be looked over by the major reviewers. "Invented" is a serious contender for album of the year in my book. If you like rock music, hell if you like music. At least try the album. Forget what you know about Jimmy Eat World, and welcome a legitimately good band!

"Invented" gets 4.5 "Hell Yeahs!" out of 5

1. "Heart Is Hard to Find"
2. "My Best Theory"
3. "Evidence"
4. "Higher Devotion"
5. "Movielike"
6. "Coffee and Cigarettes"
7. "Stop"
8. "Littlething"
9. "Cut"
10. "Action Needs an Audience"
11. "Invented"
12. "Mixtape"

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Yea for a Jimmy review!!!