Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sleigh Bells - "Treats" Review


There is no mistake about it, Sleigh Bells are a pop group. Through and through. So when I tell you that I like this, I want you to really understand what I'm saying, the gravity of it. I Brandon Simmons, like something that is basically a pop record. So don't ever tell me I discriminate damn it!

Sleigh Bells is the master mind of Derek E. Miller who takes care of the music, guitars, and producing and Alexis Krauss who is on vocal duty. Miller was previously in a band called Poison the Well (one of my favorites) and Krauss was in Rubyblue, a teenpop group. The music they do together is undeniably pop and the influences are plenty. There are songs that seem more electro than the pop that is the norm right now. If you know what your listening to, if you understand the semantics of music and the subtleties of genre's you'll get a lot out of "Treats". The primarily Hip Hop beats will please one crowd while in the same song crushing guitar riffs abound for another audience. All of this is brought together by Krauss's vocal work which varies from straight pop to siren singing. All of these elements seem to blend flawlessly, but there are underlying problems with the album. Because of the pop nature of Sleigh Bells songs do tend to blend, meaning stuff starts to sound the same. Also while Miller did a pretty good job on producing the album, some of the songs have a grainy distorted sound that is honestly tough on the ears at time. In fact the first song might be enough to turn most away because of the production values.

Sleigh Bells does something that most pop albums have a hard time doing and that is making me bob my head. There are some truly good songs on "Treats" and if your a fan of the female pop genre I challenge you to give this album a spin.

"Treats" gets 3.5 infinity guitars out of 5

1. "Tell 'Em"
2. "Kids"
3. "Riot Rhythm"
4. "Infinity Guitars"
5. "Run the Heart"
6. "Rachel"
7. "Rill Rill"
8. "Crown On the Ground"
9. "Straight A's"
10. "A/B Machines"
11. "Treats"

No comments: