Monday, November 15, 2010

Underoath - Disambiguation


I've never been a fan of Underoath. Nothing against their music it just isn't really my style. Its like, if it plays on random I won't skip it but I wouldn't choose it myself, type things. So does the new album stick to the format, or does it move on to main event territory.

Underoath are a hardcore and who have metal influence. Which most call metalcore but I won't but them in the genre. The problem with there style is its beginning to sound dated. I could probably play 14 bands over them and you wouldn't be able to pick one or the other as a certain band unless you were a die hard fan. Disambiguation does a better job of updating that sound and it sticks out from the rest of their discography. It still doesn't really move them forward in that great leap that they so desperately need. I had the feeling while listening to the record that "Its gonna get better next song" and that feeling never went away. Its not that the content is bad. Songs like "Illuminator" and "Who Guard the Guardians" really stand out as the best on the album and some of the best songs I've heard from this artist and similar ones as well. The album just struggles to "wow" the listener. You get to the end feeling like this is "Old Hat". Which is a shame because this album had a lot of potential.

Maybe if they took a little more time this album could have been a home run, but it ultimately falls short. I give "Disambiguation" 3 ambiguations out of 5

01. In Division
02. Catch Myself Catching Myself
03. Paper Lung
04. Illuminator
05. Driftwood
06. A Divine Eradication
07. Who Will Guard The Guardians
08. Reversal
09. Vacant Mouth
10. My Deteriorating Incline
11. In Completion

No comments: