Saturday, November 20, 2010

Weezer - Death to False Metal


Does anyone else feel like Weezer is starting to get greedy? They've put out three sub par albums in the last two years. It feels like its less about making music that's quality at this point and more about raking it whatever cash they can for their music. That may not be the case at all, but listening to "Death to False Metal" makes me feel that way. It also clocks in at a little more than thirty minutes long. Which for 12 bucks is a rip off.

"Death to False Metal" is whats called a B-sides record. Its compiled of songs that didn't make the cut for the other albums. Now when you really start to think about that, it gets you worrisome. You have a collection of songs that weren't good enough to get on some of Weezer arguably worst albums. Well prepare for total crap right? Well not really. Not everything here is bad. One song on the album is good. Its called "Odd Couple" and it stands out as the only song that doesn't annoy me to death. Unfortunately the rest of the album is complete trash. One particular song really rubbed me in the wrong way and that song is "Everyone". This song is Weezer's sad attempt at making a harder sounding song. I'm sure its not being serious, and I can get behind that, but the song is so annoying that its physically painful to listen to. The lyrics are so bad to the song that I've decided to share them for you...

"Everyone"
Everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone, yeah
Everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone, yeah
Suck a thumb, suck a thumb, suck a thumb, suck that thumb, yeah


I want to take you somewhere
I really wanna take you
I want to take you somewhere
I really wanna


Everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone, yeah
Everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone, yeah
Kick a bum, kick a bum, kick a bum, kick that bum, yeah
Everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone, yeah
I can't see straight, I can't see straight.

Seriously, that song is almost three minutes long. The song is definitely the lowest point in the album but other songs like "Turning Up the Radio" and "I'm A Robot" don't help its grim situation. Weezer also uses auto tune in the song "Auto-Pilot" which I'm sure is trying to be witty but it just comes across as a cheap attempt to capitalize on a terrible fad in music.

I like Weezer. I like that a band like Weezer is popular, because at least I know kids aren't just listening to trashy pop music. This entry however is a mockery of their previous music. It also cements the fact that if a producer at a major label things the song sucks too much to be put with a bunch of mediocre songs, then leave it dead.

"Death to False Metal" gets 1 good song out of 5

"Turning Up the Radio" – 3:37
"I Don't Want Your Loving" – 3:03
"Blowin' My Stack" – 3:44
"Losing My Mind" – 4:02
"Everyone" – 2:49
"I'm a Robot" – 2:31
"Trampoline" – 2:45
"Odd Couple" – 3:07
"Auto-Pilot" – 2:57
"Un-Break My Heart" (Toni Braxton cover) – 4:11

No comments: